Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gaty's Pumpkin Bread

This is the best pumpkin bread of all time. I'm not just saying that because it's my boyfriend's mother's recipe! It is a holiday staple in the Blanchard family. I remember when Casey and I first started dating, his mother sent him over with a bag FULL of treats. Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit like homemade goodies!

I have been getting some messages and requests for a good pumpkin bread recipe, and on a whim I decided to bake some up and share it with the world. This bread will change your life. Thank you Gaty for letting me share this family recipe.

This is my favorite thing that his mother makes. It is fabulous unadorned, or warm with some buttah (personal fave)...my roommate does not like the sound of these options and she will be melting some cream cheese icing and pouring it on her slice - a little too much for me but you sweet toothers out there I'm sure you can handle it.

 (of course I come home on my lunch break to take pictures only to realize my big girl camera battery is dead. So these were taken with my lowly point and shoot.)

Another reason why this bread is so great is that the ingredients are so simple. Coming from someone who hates to wait for butter to soften, and usually forgets to take the butter out to soften anyway, finding a bread recipe that doesn't call for buttah was a precious gift in its self. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons for butter extract, this is optional but I like it gave it an extra oomph. yes oomph. I wish I could make a loaf for everyone just so I know you have tried it, it's that good! MAKE THIS TODAY

Now usually I separate my dry ingredients, and I sift and blah blah but the recipe said I could just dump everything in the bowl, so I did--and the bread was still wonderful and moist, and the world didn't end. So feel free if you feel you MUST separate and sift but you definitely do not need to.

I just dumped all my ingredients in my mixer and BAM it was done. Amazing.

 We have one window with excellent light 
in our apt so this is where I go to take my photos,
look at that mischievous little baby.

I  have a mini loaf pan and I left it at my mothers house. CURSES! So I halved the batter between two regulation regular size loaf pans. Preheat for 350 and bake for one hour. 335 for mini muffins bake 12 1/2 minutes. Mini loaves bake for 30 minutes



When you pull the bread out of the oven, get yourself a slice and then do me a favor and make a slight cut into the middle and nestle a piece of butter in there...left it melt...take a bite. Your heart is singing now. You are welcome.




Easy Pumpkin Bread - Click for Printable Recipe

Ingredients
3 ½  cup Flour
3 cup Sugar
1 ½ teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
4 Eggs
15 oz can pumpkin (1 pound of your own puree)
1 cup cooking oil
2/3 cup water

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. If making mini muffins, preheat oven to 335F.
Mix all ingredients together, except the nuts. Once thoroughly mixed, stir in the nuts if you choose to add them.
Pour into two greased loaf pans (or 8 mini loaf pans). Or mini muffin pans, if using.
Bake for one hour (30 minutes if doing small loaf pans). If making mini muffins, cook for 12 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Recipe Tips:
  1. Freezes very well
  2. Add pecans and/or cranberries to jazz things up ( I like it pure an unadorned)
  3. Makes a great gift for neighbors, teachers, family, friends and whoever else my cross your path!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I love the one with Rory! Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love this with pecans.... had neighbors show up during the holidays unexpectedly or send their kids over because one small loaf was not enough to satisfy the pumpkin bread cravings.. wrapped them good and freeze, sent these in school lunches(mini loaves) with my precious babies for years. glad you finally baked this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails